Monday, June 16, 2008

From Singapore to Alice Springs - Migration Success Story

Caroline had been coming to Alice Springs from her home in Singapore for more than ten years, visiting her mother and her older brother. After studying in Australia she gained sponsorship under the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS).

She now has permanent residency and is looking forward to becoming an Australian citizen. "I used to come over and stay for three months then go back to Singapore and work," recalls Caroline. "I was just spending time with my family in Alice Springs. I wanted to find a way to stay in the Northern Territory, when my brother suggested I study here. I went to college in Alice Springs for two and half years to study child care and because I was enjoying it here and the people were so nice I decided to ask the childcare centre where I worked part-time to sponsor me to migrate."

For Caroline's employers at the YMCA Childcare Centre in Alice Springs, helping Caroline to migrate under RSMS was a win-win situation. Manager Anthony says there is shortage of qualified childcare workers. "We had Caroline here already, working part time as a student doing 20 hours a week, which her student visa allowed, and she was seeking support to stay in Alice Springs. We had a staff shortage and she had the skills. The advantage for us is that we get consistency in our staff." The YMCA Childcare Centre also values overseas staff for the multicultural influence they bring to the centre. A diversity of people makes it more interesting for the children. It's a definite plus to have different cultures in the workplace.

No comments: